Tartans in Second After Opening Day of UAA Indoor Championships
(WALTHAM, Mass.) - The Carnegie Mellon University men's track and field team competed at the University Athletic Association (UAA) Indoor Championships on Saturday. The two-day championship meet is being hosted by Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts. The Tartans have 49.33 points and are currently second heading into the final day.
Top Performances in the Field:
- Sophomore Cody Breidenbach won the UAA title in the weight throw for the second consecutive year. He tossed the weight 17.61 meters.
- Senior Bailey O'Malley placed second in the weight throw with a career-best mark of 16.35 meters.
- Sophomore Sebastian Sanso cleared the bar at 1.88 meters to place fourth in the high jump while junior Thomas Rich cleared 1.83 meters to finish eighth.
- The long jump saw three Tartans place in the top eight and score points. Rich marked at 6.65 meters to place fourth, senior Alex Halkias placed sixth with a jump of 6.52 meters and freshman Morgan Johnson placed eighth with a jump of 6.38 meters.
Top Performances on the Track:
- Sophomore Matthew Coyle and junior David Durdaller placed second and fifth in the 5,000-meter run with career-best times of 14:28.74 and 14:38.71, respectively.
- Juniors Alex Ivanov and Andrew McGovern qualified for the finals of the 800-meter run with times of 1:53.88 and 1:54.40.
- Halkias qualified for the 60-meter dash and 200-meter dash finals after crossing in 7.12 and 22.73. Senior Verne Garin also advanced to the finals of the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.11.
- Rich along with sophomore Micah Nowlin will run in the finals of the 60-meter hurdles. Rich ran 8.37 and Nowlin a career-best 8.72 in the preliminaries.
- The final day of the championships will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday, February 26.