Tartans Open Outdoor Season at Washington and Lee Carnival
(LEXINGTON, VA.) - The Carnegie Mellon University men's track and field team traveled south to Lexington, Virginia, for the Washington and Lee Track and Field Carnival hosted by Washington and Lee University at Foster Stadium on Friday and Saturday.
Top Performances in the Field:
- Junior Thomas Rich won the long jump after marking at 6.95 meters. The junior also placed second in the high jump after clearing the bar with a career-best height of 1.94 meters.
- The triple jump was won by sophomore Luke Blackwell with a leap of 13.57 meters.
- Senior Alex Halkias took fifth in the long jump with a leap of 6.62 meters.
- Freshman Sam Alligood placed fourth in the shot put with a throw of 13.24 meters and fifth in the hammer with a toss of 42.02 meters.
Top Performances on the Track:
- Sophomore Matthew Coyle won the 5,000-meter race after crossing in 14:44.75 while junior Jacob Hsu finished third in personal-best time of 14:59.34. Freshman Ryan Podnar took fourth after crossing in 15:09.56.
- The 10k was won by junior Charlie Murphy after he crossed in 31:44.88.
- Rich took third in the 110-meter hurdles after finishing in 15.59 and then placed fifth in the 400-hurdlles with a time of 57.72.
- Halkias crossed the finish line with a time of 22.09 to place third in the 200-meter dash.
- Junior Austin Weltz and senior Leland Davies crossed fourth and fifth in the 400-meter run with times of 51.11 and 51.65, respectively. For Davies, it was a personal-best time.
- A career-best time of 1:57.82 by sophomore Sean Dutton placed him fifth in the 800-meter run.
- Next up for the Tartans is their home invitational on Friday and Saturday, March 24-25. Events kickoff on Friday afternoon at 2:00 p.m.