Posted: Apr 23, 2023
UAA Champs! Tartans Win Outdoor Track and Field Championship
(CHICAGO, Ill.) - The Carnegie Mellon University men's track and field team won its fifth University Athletic Association (UAA) Outdoor Championship on Sunday afternoon and first since 2017. The Tartans scored 171.5 points with Washington University in St. Louis scoring 165.5 points to take second. The two-day championship meet was hosted by the University of Chicago.
Top Performances on the Track:
- Junior Andrew McGovern won the UAA title in the 400-meter hurdles after crossing in 53.70 with freshman Tyler Williams placing sixth with a season-best time of 57.24.
- Senior Alex Halkias placed second in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.11.
- Sophomore Colin McLaughlin turned in a second-place finish in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 3:52.73.
- The 4x100-meter relay team of senior Verne Garin, Halkias along with freshmen Bennett Wong and Jacob Kelly took third after posting a time of 42.52.
- Junior Thomas Rich placed fourth in 110-meter hurdles after crossing with a time of 15.57.
- Junior Alex Ivanov and senior Leland Davies both ran in the finals of the 800-meter run. Ivanov placed fourth with a time of 1:52.96 while Davies crossed in 2:06.46 to place eighth.
- The Tartans placed fifth, sixth and seventh in the 5,000-meter run. Junior Jacob Hsu crossed in 14:42.05, sophomore Matthew Coyle in 14:42.90 and senior Elijah Sech in 14:43.42.
- The finals of the 400-meter run had junior Austin Weltz finishing in 50.94 and placed eighth.
- The running events closed for the Tartans with the 4x400-meter relay team of sophomore Sean Dutton, Davies, Ivanov and McGovern crossing in 3:20.33 to place third.
Top Performances in the Field:
- Sophomore Sebastian Sanso cleared the bar at a personal-best height of 1.95 meters to win the UAA tile in the high jump. Rich cleared 1.89 meters and placed sixth.
- The javelin saw sophomore Casey Potrebic also win a UAA title with a personal-best throw of 54.93 meters.
- Freshman Sam Alligood took second in the discus with a season-best throw of 44.00 meters, as senior Bailey O'Malley marked at 39.91 meters to finish fourth.
- Sophomore Luke Blackwell finished fifth in the triple jump with a mark of 13.47 meters with Sanso taking seventh jumping a career-best 13.22 meters.
- The Tartans won five individual UAA titles over the two-day championships. It ties for the third most in program history at the UAA Track and Field Championships.
- The Tartans will next compete at the Red Flash Open on Saturday, April 29.