Posted: May 18, 2023
Tartans Place Second at All-Atlantic Regional; Breidenbach Sets School Record in Hammer
(SELINSGROVE, Pa.) - The Carnegie Mellon University men's track and field team competed at the All-Atlantic Region Outdoor Track and Field Championships on Wednesday and Thursday hosted by Susquehanna University. The Tartans placed second in a field of 43 teams that scored points.
Top Performances in the Field:
- Sophomore Cody Breidenbach broke the school in the hammer throw with a toss of 58.35 meters and placed second. Breidenbach breaks Zachary Erra-Hernandez's mark of 57.67 meters set in 2014.
- Senior Bailey O'Malley tossed the element 15.87 meters in the shot put to place fourth.
- In the pole vault, freshman Christian Duckworth cleared the bar at 4.57 meters and placed fifth.
- Junior Thomas Rich leapt 6.67 meters in the long jump to place seventh.
Top Performances on the Track:
- Sophomore Colin McLaughlin won the 1,500-meter run after crossing the line with a time of 3:49.98.
- Senior Elijah Sech placed second in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:04.54 with junior David Durdaller crossing in 9:11.49 to place third.
- The 5,000-meter race had sophomore Matthew Coyle and junior Jacob Hsu placing sixth and seventh with times of 14:44.22 and 14:52.11, respectively.
- The Tartans will now wait for the NCAA to announce the athletes selected to the 2023 NCAA Division III Outdoor Track and Field Championships which will be held in Rochester, New York, from Thursday, May 25 through Saturday, May 27.