Rich Currently Seventh in Decathlon Following First Day at NCAA Outdoor Championships, McLaughlin Qualifies for Finals of 1,500
(ROCHESTER, N.Y.) - Members of the Carnegie Mellon University men's outdoor track and field team competed at the first day of the 2023 NCAA Division III Outdoor Track and Field Championships on Thursday. The championships are being held at the Polisseni Track and Field Complex in Rochester, New York.
- Following the first day of the decathlon, in which five events took place, junior Thomas Rich is in seventh place with 3,565 points.
- Rich won the shot put with a personal-best throw of 12.35 meters and took third in the long jump with a leap of 6.88 meters to highlight Friday's decathlon events.
- Sophomore Colin McLaughlin recorded a time of 3:48.41 in the preliminaries of the 1,500-meter run and qualified for the finals on Saturday at 1:25 p.m.
- In the preliminaries of the 3,000-meter steeplechase, senior Elijah Sech crossed in 9:23.84 and placed 20th.
- Junior Andrew McGovern ran in the preliminaries of the 400-meter hurdles and posted a time of 54.33 to place 18th.
- The championships continue on Friday, May 26 with Rich starting off in the 110-meter hurdles of the decathlon at 10:00 a.m.