Posted: May 26, 2023
Rich Breaks School Record in Decathlon at NCAA Outdoor Championships
(ROCHESTER, N.Y.) - Members of the Carnegie Mellon University men's outdoor track and field team competed at the 2023 NCAA Division III Outdoor Track and Field Championships on Friday. The championships are being held at the Polisseni Track and Field Complex in Rochester, New York.
- Junior Thomas Rich completed the final five events of the decathlon Friday and ended with a school record 6,606 points to place ninth. Rich broke his previous school record mark of 6,556 points set earlier this season
- Rich finished seventh in the javelin with a personal-best throw of 49.26 meters; took eighth in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.55; placed 11th in the pole vault after clearing a personal-best height of 3.90 meters. The junior closed the meet with a personal-best time of 4:51.95 in the 1,500-meter run.
- Senior Bailey O'Malley placed 15th in the shot put with a mark of 15.61 meters.
- Sophomore Alex Ivanov ran in the preliminaries of the 800-meter run and recorded a time of 1:51.80.
- The championships continue on Saturday, May 27 with sophomore Cody Breidenbach competing in the hammer throw at 1:00 p.m. followed by sophomore Colin McLaughlin in the finals of 1,500-meter run at 1:25 p.m.