Tartans Weather First-Half Lows, Top Grove City 70-58
(GROVE CITY, Pa.) – The Carnegie Mellon University women's basketball team visited Grove City College on Thursday, November 30 for its sixth game of the season. The Tartans topped the Wolverines, 70-58 to move to 5-1 for the year. The Wolverines drop to 4-3.
How it Happened
- The Tartans shot just 29.2% from the floor in the first period but still held an 18-13 edge.
- Freshman Kayla Delmore led the Tartans in the first frame with seven points while making two shot from long range.
- Grove City started the second quarter with an 8-0 run and pushed it to 12-2 to lead by five points with 6:18 still to play in the frame.
- The Tartans kept it close and scored the final five points of the half with a second-chance bucket by junior Anisha Chintala and a three-pointer by sophomore Liv LaFond to knot the score at 29-all.
- The 28.6% shooting effort by the Tartans in the first half was the lowest all season by nearly 10%.
- The second half was a different story as the Tartans made their first four attempts from the field to run out to a nine-point lead three minutes into the new clock.
- The Tartans would lead by as many as 13 points in the third quarter after a layup by senior Megan Matsko with 3:58 to go.
- Grove City pulled to within seven points to end the third quarter and continued its run with six straight points to start the fourth on back-to-back three-pointers to trail by one.
- The Tartans answered with six points after a timeout to remain in the lead and methodically stretched the advantage to double digits as the game reached the final minute.
For the Tartans
- Sophomore Savannah Gibbs finished as the game's high scorer with 18 points.
- Chintala tallied 16 points and eight rebounds with six steals, four assists and two blocks.
- Matsko scored in double-digits for the first game this season with 11 points while Delmore finished with 10.
For the Wolverines
- Mara Polczynski led with 14 points on 6-of-12 shooting.
- Kat Goetz reached double-digits with 10 points.
- Chintala's six assists is a season-high.
- Gibbs led the Tartans offense for the fifth time this season.
- The Tartans finished the game shooting a season-low 36.0%.
- The 29 first-half points scored by the Tartans was a season-low for the first half.
- The Tartans are 8-0 against Grove City under the direction of Jacquie Hullah.
The Tartans will next host Denison University on Saturday, December 2 at 2:00 p.m.