#8 Tartans Open Season with 4-1 Victory; Struble Records Win 150
(ERIE, Pa.) - The eighth-ranked Carnegie Mellon University women's soccer team defeated Fredonia State University with a score of 4-1 at the Penn State Behrend Herb Lauffer Memorial Tournament. The win at Behrend Field gives the Tartans a 1-0 record as Fredonia falls to 0-1.
Inside the Box Score
- The Blue Devils opened the scoring with a penalty kick goal by Jordan Barret in the sixteenth minute after three shots by the Tartans were off target.
- Senior Cecelia Dieterich tied the game in the eighteenth minute.
- Assisted by freshman Audrey Bianco, freshman Saveria Ulizzi scored the go-ahead goal and eventual game-winner in the 53rd minute.
- Dieterich scored her second goal of the game in the 59th minute, assisted by senior Rachel Martini.
- The final goal was scored by junior Gemma Jefferson in the 86th minute.
- Dieterich has now scored twice in one game three times in her career.
- Ulizzi's second-half goal goes down as her first career goal and the ninth time a freshman scored in the season opener under 14-year head coach Yon Struble.
- With the win, Struble recorded his 150th career victory, all at the helm of the Tartans.
The Tartans continue their run at the Herb Lauffer Memorial Tournament on Sunday, September 3 at 3:30 p.m. against the hosts, Penn State Behrend.