Late Goal Lifts Tartans to 1-0 Win in NCAA First Round
|Washington and Lee
|#3 Carnegie Mellon
|Shots (on goal)
(NEWARK, N.J.) – The Carnegie Mellon University women's soccer team opened the 2023 NCAA Division III Women's Soccer Championship Tournament with a 1-0 victory against Washington and Lee University on Friday, November 10 at New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, N.J. The win moves the Tartans' record to 12-0-6 for the season while the Generals end the year with a 13-4-4 mark.
Inside The Box Score
- The game-winning goal came off the foot of sophomore Vivian Wang in the 80th minute of action with the assist credited to junior Ayana Curto.
- The Tartans took 10 shots in the first half with five on goal while the Generals tested sophomore keeper Abby O'Connor twice in the half.
- Before Wang's goal, freshman Audrey Bianco put a shot on goal and she put another shot on goal in the 82nd minute.
- The win marks the eighth first-round victory in NCAA play for the Tartans and the 17th win overall in tournament play.
- The shutout is the 16th for the Tartans in NCAA tournament history.
- O'Connor earned her seventh shutout of the season and the team's 13th.
The Tartans will play 16th-ranked New York University on Saturday, November 11 at 3:00 p.m. The Tartans and Violets tied 1-1 two weeks ago.