Tartans Come Up Short in NCAA Second Round at NYU
|#3 Carnegie Mellon
|Shots (on goal)
(NEWARK, N.J.) – The Carnegie Mellon University women's soccer team, ranked third in the latest national poll, fell in the second round of the 2023 NCAA Division III Women's Soccer Championship Tournament to 16th-ranked New York University on Saturday, November 11 by a 2-0 score. The Tartans finish the year with a 12-1-6 record and the program's 10th NCAA tournament appearance.
Inside The Box Score
- Both teams put five shots on goal with NYU scoring goals in the ninth minute and 59th minute.
- Junior Catherine MacNichol had the first shot of the game in the fifth minute before Kelli Keady scored the game's first goal four minutes later.
- Graduate student Caitlynn Owens put a header on frame in the 18th minute off a corner kick service but Tyler Hawkins stopped it to keep the Violets in the lead.
- Sophomore Abby O'Connor made a save in the 37th minute while freshman Audrey Bianco had two shots off the mark in the final five minutes of the half.
- Keady put in her second goal of the game following a corner kick by the Violets in the 59th minute.
- Junior Maria Askounis had a shot stopped by Hawkins minutes later while junior Emma Shirzad put a shot high of the goal in the 64th minute.
- Senior Breana Valentovish put a shot on goal in the 70th minute while Hawkins also saved an attempt by freshman Saveria Ulizzi in the 81st minute.
- O'Connor finished the game with three saves, making the final two in the 82nd and 83rd minutes.
- This was the first meeting between Carnegie Mellon and NYU in the NCAA tournament.