Tartans Advance to Finals of Singles and Doubles at ITA Regionals
(FREDERICKSBURG, Va.) – The Carnegie Mellon University women's tennis team competed at the ITA Southeast Regional from Saturday, September 23 through Monday, September 25 at the University of Mary Washington. Senior Danna Taylor and sophomore Divya Venkatarama advanced to the finals of singles play and will face off at home on Tuesday, September 26 to crown the singles champion.
- Taylor and sophomore Anna Chow advanced to the semifinals with an 8-1 win in the round of 32, an 8-2 win in the round of 16, and an 8-6 win in the quarterfinals.
- Taylor and Chow won their semifinals match Monday morning by an 8-2 score before falling 6-2, 6-1 in the finals to a pair from Johns Hopkins University.
- Junior Zoe Angell and sophomore Divya Venkatarama won their round of 32 match on Saturday by an 8-4 score before falling 8-4 on Sunday morning in the round of 16.
- The sophomore pair of Simran Bedi and Anika Joshi fell in the round of 32 but won their consolation match by an 8-3 score.
- The Tartans won four round of 64 singles matches with Taylor getting a bye with the number two seed.
- Venkatarama and Taylor both advanced to the finals and will play each other at home on Tuesday.
- Venkatarama, seeded ninth, topped Washington and Lee's Margaret Carlton by a 6-2, 6-0 score to open the tournament. She then won 6-1, 6-0, and 6-0, 6-4 to reach Sunday afternoon's quarterfinal round.
- In her quarterfinal match, Venkatarama defeated Hana Kimmery of the University of Mary Washington, 6-3, 6-0, and outlasted Lauren Long, the one seed from Washington and Lee, in the semifinals on Monday by 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.
- Taylor started with a 6-1, 6-1 win in the round of 32 against Izzy Koziol of Washington and Lee University and reached the quarterfinals with a 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4) victory against Kathleen Shiffer of Swarthmore College.
- Taylor finished Sunday's matches with a 6-4, 7-6 (9-7) victory in the quarterfinals against Sydney Langer of Johns Hopkins University.
- In Monday's semifinal match, Taylor topped Mary Beth Hurley of Johns Hopkins by a 6-2, 6-4 score.
- Taylor played in the doubles final of the ITA Regionals for the fourth time, winning her previous three matches.
- Taylor will play in the singles championship match for the third time, previously winning in 2018 and 2019.
- It will be the fifth straight year a Tartan will win the ITA Singles Championship.